Monday, April 19, 2021

Meandering Monday - Life on a Treadmill - Martin Wiles

Welcome to Meandering Monday, where we take a trip back to an earlier post and enjoy it again. 

Life on a Treadmill

Is not all human life a struggle? Our lives are like that of a hired hand, like a worker who longs for the shade, like a servant waiting to be paid. Job 7:1-2 NLT

Round and round life goes. Where it stops nobody knows.

I suppose it was one of the earlier pets my parents allowed me to own. Why I chose a hamster, I’m not sure. Since hamster cages are somewhat small, it’s not uncommon for them to include exercise wheels. Most owners also have a plastic ball for their pet so it can roll around the house. I had both, but they achieved different results. In the ball, my hamster could scoot all over the house. When he hit one wall, he merely switched sides of the ball and took off again. The wheel, however, was quite different. He would often run on it all night, but he made no forward progress. Sometimes life can feel the same. 

Although it may appear that I, like the hamster, am running on life’s treadmill and going nowhere, such isn’t the case. I must believe God has a plan for the world in general and for me in particular. Things are not occurring outside of his control, nor are they random and unconnected. Furthermore, his plans are good and for my good. When he is finished weaving them together, I will understand that. 

As the hamster spins in one direction, so must I—God’s direction. When I hit a wall in my ball, I determine I’ve taken a wrong course and then correct it by going in another direction. My directions are determined through prayer. I can know the mind of Christ, but this doesn’t mean I’ll always get it right the first time. Walls and treadmills remind me of this. God’s Spirit residing in me gives guidance to know when and when I’m not heading in the appropriate direction. 

When life feels as if it’s nothing more than a spinning treadmill, remember God has good plans for you. Pursue them. 

Prayer: Thank You, heavenly Father, for having good plans for us. Prompt us to follow them so we might experience the fullness of Your blessings. 

(Photo courtesy of morguefile and xandert.)

Tweetable: Does your life seem like a treadmill? 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment