Thursday, October 11, 2012

Worthy Commitments: Living With Integrity by Martin Wiles

Series: Worthy Commitments

I taught her history, but she was conveniently absent the day I gave a chapter test. *Tamika was smart but lazy when it came to studying. I made an appointment for her to make up the test during her study hall, but I knew her mindset: “He’ll be teaching so he won’t be observing me.”

At home, Tamika delicately wrote the answers to the test questions on a tiny piece of two inch square paper. She came to class the next day in an oversized coat when it wasn’t cold enough outside or inside for her wardrobe. I was immediately suspicious. As she took her test, I noticed her repeatedly lifting her arm. When I was certain she was cheating, I confiscated the cheat sheet and assigned her a “zero.”

David’s goal was integrity. I will be careful to live a blameless life…I will lead a life of integrity in my own home (Psalm 101:2 NLT). He didn’t always succeed in living up to his or God’s standards, but he made valiant attempts. In spite of his unfaithfulness with another man’s wife, occasional lies and his periodic failure as a parent, his overall goal was obedience to God’s commands.

Integrity isn’t perfection, but it is making a valid effort to do the right things when everyone or no one is looking. Proper decisions only when being watched aren’t honorable in God’s sight. Determination, courage, faith and constant trust in God are all requirements for being a person of integrity, but they’re worth the effort. What will it take for you to do the right thing regardless of the consequences or of who’s looking?

Prayer: Father, help us to be people of integrity who commit to obeying Your commands regardless of the consequences.
*Name changed to protect privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment