Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Misplaced Focus by Martin Wiles

Some days no matter how much I squint and rub, they just won’t focus.

I’ve been wearing glasses since I was elementary age. My eyes have grown progressively worse and didn’t stabilize until I reached my 40’s. They are still changing slightly, but for the most part they are what they are. But some days the blurriness rushes in. No doubt because I’ve looked at the computer screen too long, graded too many papers, or didn’t get enough sleep. My focus isn’t always what I wish it was.

Neither was the focus of the crowd who witnessed the early apostles heal a crippled man. When the crowd saw what Paul had done, they shouted in their local dialect, “These men are gods in human form!” (Acts 14:11 NLT) Instead of turning to the One who gave them power to perform the miracle, they got caught up in the moment and attributed divine powers to the apostles.

I’ve concluded—based on what God’s Word teaches, that my focus should always be centered on what glorifies God. Glorify is one of those slippery religious words that’s variously defined. I choose to define it as putting the spotlight on God. Jesus taught that the purpose of my carrying out good works was that others might see them and in turn glorify the Father...shine the spotlight on him.

I should also focus on whatever enables me to fulfill God’s plan and purpose for my life. Doing this will eliminate many of my side trips into areas I have no business traveling. And it will also help me fulfill the Acts 1:9 commission: to go into the entire world telling about Christ’s love.

Only with God’s help can I regain and maintain my focus. Are you focused in?

Prayer: Eternal God and Master, keep our focus clear so our work for You will be successful and pleasing in Your sight.

Martin N MichelleHelp spread the encouragement by sharing this site with a friend.

1 comment:

  1. As one who has vision problems for years and even in my thirties still having some slight changes, I can certainly relate to your post. There is much in this world to get us distracted.

    ReplyDelete