Thursday, October 31, 2013

Honesty—Still the Best Policy by Martin Wiles

How could anyone cheat an elderly person? And simply to pad their pocket.

I was working my first job at Orkin Exterminating Company. Not my idea of the ideal job but all that was available at the moment. And it was paying my bills. Shortly after starting, I was transferred from spaying the insides of houses to treating the underneaths. This was even more distasteful. But when I was called to install a moisture barrier under an elderly lady’s home and was choked by the dust I encountered, my attitude deteriorated even more. How could a salesperson sell an elderly person something they obviously didn’t need? Honesty was definitely not his policy. Making money was.

Wise King Solomon warned against dishonesty. Don’t cheat your neighbor by moving the ancient boundary markers; don’t take the land of defenseless orphans (Proverbs 23:10 NLT).

Honesty is a reflection of character, and character is who I honestly am. Character involves the traits I display on a regular basis. It demonstrates what I value and don’t value. My character will be reflected in my actions, the goals I set, my attitudes, and the relationships I choose.

Honesty also exhibits integrity. When my character is what it should be, integrity will follow. Integrity is doing the right thing…all the time…whether no one is looking or even if everyone is gazing. Honesty in character leads to integrity. I may put down the moisture barrier because my job requires it, but I’ll begin searching for another job…which I did.

Honesty reflects Jesus’ nature. And after all, he’s the one I should model my life after. Jesus displayed honesty and confronted dishonesty.

When I demonstrate honesty, God will honor my life and my efforts and send blessings my way. It always has been—and always will be, the best policy.

Prayer: Father in heaven, prompt us to exercise honesty in every action, thought, and attitude.

Martin N MichelleHelp spread the encouragement by sharing this site with a friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment