Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Praying God’s Will for Others by Martin Wiles

When I think about mine, it sometimes appears pretty selfish.

I have a general daily prayer list. While I don’t adhere rigidly to it, for the most part my prayers follow this schedule. Occasionally, I pause to consider who is benefiting most from these prayers. Are they all about me, my family, my wishes, and my wants, or am I interceding more for others than I am concentrating on me? After all, I’m human and tend to be a little selfish. If I’m not careful God can become the big Santa Claus in the sky.

Jesus, on the other hand, spent more time praying for others and praying that God would strengthen him to do what he sent him to do. I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message (John 17:20 NLT).

If I’m to pray God’s will for others, I must first love God supremely. Anything less will keep my focus mainly on me. And after all, Jesus says to do this is the greatest commandment. When my vertical relationship is in order, my horizontal ones will be also.

Praying God’s Word for others also means the love I have for others must extend beyond superficiality. It should be sacrificial. I must love them as I do myself—and I will gladly sacrifice for me. “How can I serve you?” should be my continual mindset when dealing with others.

And praying God’s will for others further means I genuinely desire that they realize God’s purpose and plan in their lives. If something good happens for them, I won’t be jealous and ask, “Why didn’t You do this for me, God?”

Are you guilty of praying God’s will only for you? Why not include someone else in your prayers each day?

Prayer: Enable us, dear merciful Lord, to realize that life isn’t solely about us. It must include others.

Need a fresh perspective on money matters? Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment