Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Better Together - Tranece Harris

better together
Two people are better than one, because they can reap more benefit from their labor. For if they fall, one will help his companion up, but pity the person who falls down and has no one to help him up. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 NET

Feelings of defeat and hopelessness overtook me as life’s circumstances proceeded to kick me in the side and punch me in the gut.

I sat paralyzed in my office chair, allowing rivers of tears to stream down my face. I threatened to call someone but convinced myself no one would understand. How could I live in a community of like-minded believers, yet feel isolated and alone? As I reflected, reality sank in. My loneliness was a self-inflicted wound. My assumptions and lack of healthy conflict resolution caused me to convince myself that relationships were too much work. There I sat in the desert, left to face the hardest person I had ever faced—me.

Metaphorically, I felt battered, bruised, and broken and wanted to scream out to the Father and ask Him why He had forsaken me. But at that moment, something clicked, and I felt closer to my Savior than ever before. If no one else could relate to my emotions or understand my circumstances, Jesus certainly could.

I attempted to peel myself from my desk chair to no avail, justifying my withdrawal by verbally reminding myself that Jesus was all I needed. I pictured a hollow chocolate Easter bunny—the only image I could produce to convey my feelings. Isolation proved more difficult than fellowship.

King Solomon explained that we all fall and need encouragement from fellow believers, but we must connect to the body of Christ to get it. We can accomplish more working together than on our own. Even if we think no one can relate to our situation, we may be surprised at how many others experience something similar. Exposure to others provides varying perspectives and new insights.

We were not meant to go through life alone. We are relational beings, meant for fellowship with like-minded Christ followers. Realizing we need others evidences spiritual growth and maturation, not weakness.

What are some ways you can encourage others?

Tweetable: Are you feeling down in the dumps? 


Tranece Harris is pursuing a M.A. in Christian Education at Dallas Theological Seminary. She serves as the president of the ARISE Women Student Fellowship at DTS and works as an admissions counselor. Upon graduation, Tranece plans to start her own nonprofit to offer life coaching to women at no cost. She wants to help women discover their God-given purpose, identify their unique design, and realize their self-worth. She and her husband, Terrence, serve as spiritual growth facilitators. When Tranece is not studying or working, she spends time with her three beautiful daughters, Thalia Faith, Tianna Grace, and Tamara Peace.



Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment