Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Out of Focus - Martin Wiles

Out of Focus
But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted. Matthew 14:30 NLT

I’ve been known to miss what I focus on—especially when things are out of focus.

I had always hunted deer with dogs and a shotgun. Stand on the side of the road or the edge of the woods and wait for the dogs to run the deer to me, then shoot. Until I moved next to a friend who liked to still hunt. Climb a tree, sit in a stand, and chance that deer might walk where I sat. For this, a rifle worked better.

After purchasing one at a local retail store, I set out for my first adventure. At dusk, a herd of deer walked out of the woods two hundred yards from me. I carefully raised my rife, zeroed in on a buck, and squeezed the trigger. The rifle fired, but the herd stood still. Strange, I thought. After this happened twice, I figured I should check my scope. Sure enough, the rifle shot twenty feet above where I aimed.

For Peter, it wasn’t a rifle. The other disciples and Peter fought a storm in the middle of the Sea of Galilee. Jesus suddenly appeared, walking on the water. Peter wanted to try it too, and Jesus gave him permission. He did fine until he noticed the raging waves pounding his ankles. When he focused on them, he sank.

At the end of the day, a faulty scope and rough water are minor compared to other things that can steal our focus from serving God faithfully and loving him unconditionally. Perhaps the major focus stealer is life’s busyness. Work, relationships, hobbies, children, school, homework, and community affairs. None of which are sinful, but all of which can rob us of life’s true joy.

Taking time to ponder our lifestyles can reveal our life’s priorities. The results can be revealing . . . and shocking. When our priorities are out of focus, they steal our focus from the things that should be our priorities.

Step back and look at your priorities. Let God show you what might be out of focus.

Prayer: Father, focus us on the exact plan and purpose You have for us. 

Tweetable: How do you respond when life is out of focus? 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment