Monday, January 30, 2023

When Hope is Crushed - Martin Wiles

When Hope is Crushed
Lord, sustain me as you promised, that I may live! Do not let my hope be crushed. Psalm 119:116 NLT

We sat in a small group and talked about disappointment and appointments. And when hope is crushed, we experience frustration.

When I have an appointment, someone has agreed to meet me at a particular time, or I’ve agreed to meet them. Disappointment is the difference between my expectations and what happens.

If my doctor’s appointment is canceled when I really need to see him, I’m disappointed. If I expect my children to succeed in school and college and they don’t, I’m disappointed. If I’m looking for a pay increase and don’t get it, I’m disappointed. When I do everything I should to promote good health only to find out I have a terminal illness, I’m disappointed.

Disappointment and crushed hope have been friends of mine quite a few times. She showed up when my son decided to quit school. She walked in when a spouse walked out. When my drooling over a new car was sopped up by the salesman who said my credit rating wasn’t high enough for a loan. And when I was told someone else had been hired for the job.

For a shepherd, disappointments might be different. Perhaps the sheep didn’t produce as much wool as he had hoped. Or a wild animal killed a few of his prize animals. Maybe one wandered too close to the edge of the mountain and fell to its death. Or ate poisonous weeds.

If I’m not careful, bitterness can stroll in when my hopes are crushed. Unfortunately, there are few things in life I can control. The forces of nature or the actions of others control everything else. I can, however, remember God is in control no matter how bleak my circumstances appear.

God is never disappointed—or surprised. He knows everything that’s going to happen. He orchestrates world events and the situations in my life. Believing in his unconditional love helps us navigate the disappointments of life without them crushing our hopes.

Don’t let life’s disappointments crush your hopes. Trust God for the best.

Prayer: Father, guide us to look to You when circumstances attempt to crush our hopes. 

Tweetable: Where do you turn when your hopes are crushed? 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment