Saturday, April 20, 2019

Date with Destiny - Martin Wiles

Then you will die there on the mountain. You will join your ancestors, just as Aaron, your brother, died. Deuteronomy 32:50 NLT

The fear of death haunted me.

Why my date with destiny troubled me at twelve years of age, I wasn’t sure. I had no medical issues. Additionally, I had trusted Jesus Christ as my Savior and believed I would spend eternity with Him.

My early fear of death eventually passed, but forty-six years later the thought still periodically terrifies me. I still believe I will spend eternity in heaven, but I also know I have far fewer years ahead of me than I did as a twelve-year-old boy. I’m also more susceptible to life-altering or life-threatening diseases than I was then. A stroke, heart attack, or deadly disease may lurk just around the corner.

As I periodically consider my date with destiny, I also wonder if I’ll accomplish as much as I want to before that date arrives. I wonder whether or not I’ll outlive my children . . . or my spouse. I ponder what quality of life I’ll have until the end.

Moses certainly thought a little about his date with destiny also. The difference is he knew when his would happen. He had led the Israelites through forty years of wilderness wandering—due to their disobedience—and now hoisted them to the border of the Promised Land. But his disobedience would keep him out. God allowed him to see it from a mountaintop, but he could not enter. He would die on the mountain.

Knowing we all face death, it only makes sense to do as much as we can in the time we have left. And since we often don’t know how long that is, it’s important that what we do we do quickly. As long as it is day, we must do the works of the one who we belong to for darkness approaches (John 9:4).

But busyness just to be busy isn’t healthy . . . or wise. We need to do the right stuff. The correct path involves actions that advance the Kingdom of God. The path that distributes love, joy, peace, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. The path that puts God first, others second, and self last. When doing these things, we’ll leave a legacy for others to emulate.

None of us are immortal. We will die. The question is what will you do between now and your date with destiny that will fulfill God’s plan for you.



Prayer: Father, we believe the time of our death is in Your hands. Help us fulfill Your will between now and that day. 


Looking for a wide selection of genres in inspirational books at discount prices? Click here to see selections.






Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

1 comment:

  1. You've got me thinking again about my homeless outreach. I paused so I could catch up more at home. Need to revamp my outreach and "get er done"!!🙏

    ReplyDelete