Friday, May 11, 2012

Trusting God With The Future by Martin Wiles

I knew she was there; I simply couldn't see her.

My daughter and I enjoyed several years of hiking when she was a preteen. She was young and fast. I was approaching 40 and slow. She normally led but remained close-except when my middle brother and son joined us. My brother was fast like my daughter but my son was slow like me. They enjoyed outwalking us. We knew they were ahead but couldn't see them until they stopped for us to catch up. It was always comforting when we did.

My future is similar. I know it's ahead even though I haven't visited it. I call it tomorrow, but tomorrow never truly arrives. When I think it has, it's today all over. I also can't see into it. It's the unknown even though I assume it's there.

The psalmist was equally sure he had one and that God controlled it. The LORD will work out his plans for my life—for your faithful love, O LORD, endures forever. (Psalm 138:8 NLT)From my viewpoint the future is uncertain, but I try controlling it anyway. Through savings, retirement funds, saving for my children's education, contributing to Social Security or by accumulating possessions.

God's viewpoint is different. He sees my future, lives in it and guarantees its certainty. Regardless of how many years it contains, he controls each one.Our challenge and responsibility is trusting God with the unknown. When we do it is no longer uncertain or frightening. Rather it’s exciting. He promises to perfect his plans for our life. And since he knows and engineers our future that's a simple thing for him to accomplish. Trust God to complete his plans in you.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, enable us to trust You with our future.

8 comments:

  1. This is so encouraging. Our lives are but a vapor, yet God knows about each one of our days.

    Visiting from Beholding Glory.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great analagy! I love the visual of God walking ahead of us into the future. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is written in the midst of a transition for you when you are unsure of your future. All that you've written is a good reminder to all of us. I remember someone saying that we Christians need never fear the future because Christ is our future. Amen!
    I'm praying God blesses this transition for you. Thanks for linking up to B&BB. Feel free to link up some more of your great devos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great reminder to trust God with the tomorrows, even once they become todays. I'm a worrier who fights fear. There's never a moment that I don't need reminding the He has it all in his hand, and it is all for my good. No worries, no fears. Only perfect love and the one who transcends time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep..."Jesus, I trust in you. " is a beautiful prayer to pray everyday...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very inspirational post! Thanks for adding it to Creative Monday and have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. QUOTE: "...God's viewpoint is different. He sees my future, lives in it and guarantees its certainty. Regardless of how many years it contains, he controls each one...."

    AMEN

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post resonates so strongly with me. It's so important to remember God is in control and there is nothing we can do to change that. Highlighting your post this week at my link up : )

    www.lessonsfromivy.com

    ReplyDelete