Friday, May 25, 2012

Blinded To See by Martin Wiles

I wasn’t excited about going, but I had no choice.

Hiding the fact you can’t see isn’t easy for a young boy. Contacts and laser surgery weren’t an option for me in the 1960’s. Glasses were. Having friends who had glasses, I knew what was in store-being called “four eyes.” Wearing glasses just wasn’t masculine.

I suppose coming to within six feet of the chalkboard so I could see what the teacher was writing gave my blindness away. She called my parents, and I was given a Mom version sight test and then ushered to the optometrist. I had to admit blindness before receiving help.

Jesus encountered equally stubborn religious leaders and said; If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains (John 9:41).

Jesus healed a man born blind-an unheard of feat. Since the religious leaders doubted Jesus’ Messiahship, it was important to discredit the miracle. They repeatedly questioned the man about the healing and even examined his parents. Jesus irritated them further by claiming the reason they couldn’t see him clearly was because they refused to admit their blindness.

Jesus’ words seem confusing: I must be blind in order to see. Admitting blindness is simply confessing my inability to handle life on my own. I don’t understand all events, nor can I. I’m often stubborn, thinking assistance from others-and most importantly God, is unnecessary. But admitting blindness-our inability, clears the way for God to open our eyes so we can see. No more glasses, contacts or laser surgery. Just pure undiluted vision of who Jesus is and where he’s taking you. Admit your blindness so God can open your eyes.

Prayer: Father, may we see clearly Your love, power and direction in our life.

1 comment:

  1. "Admit your blindness so God can open your eyes."

    Sometimes, that is the hardest part. We tend to approach scripture with out own preconceived notions of what it says, when we should be admitting our blindness and asking the Holy Spirit to reveal God's heart to us.

    You might enjoy my recent post on this topic: http://josephjpote.com/2012/05/seeing-gods-heart/

    ReplyDelete