Thursday, April 5, 2012

Getting Too Comfortable

It was Archie’s favorite chair and “Meathead” knew better than to get too comfortable in it. Or anyone else for that matter.

A gold tone wing back chair rested in the middle of the Bunker’s living room, and it was off limits. While Archie worked, others were welcome to sit there but when he was home all perpetrators had to go.

A tan Lazy Boy recliner is my favorite chair, and I love getting comfortable in it. When the day is over, I slip on my lounge pants and kick back. It’s also the best place for a power nap, but I know I can’t stay there. Household chores and work call soon enough and I must leave my comfort zone.

Solomon warns: When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other. (Ecclesiastes 7:14)

I’ve discovered life is similar to my easy chair. Getting too comfortable with the good times only makes facing the bad more uncomfortable. And ghastly moments will come. When things go well for too long I find myself thinking, “Something bad is about to happen.” I suppose because life has taught me the pattern. No one has it good all the time but neither does anyone have a continual string of bad events without good mixed in. 

Solomon commands happiness in good times but doesn’t encourage the opposite when things turn sour. Tart moments give opportunity for reflection. Knowing God is in control helps me accept good and bad as coming from him. Meditation gives occasion to consider bad as not bad at all. It only appears so because I have limited sight and knowledge. As when children consider bad what parents impose on them because they don’t understand their parent’s intent.

I’m learning contentment in all situations. Knowing God is in control and working all things in my life for good helps me enjoy the good more and tolerate the bad better.
God will bring good even through the bumpy spots.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, whatever comes our way, may we trust You for the best.
Receive these devotions in your email by entering your address in the blog sidebar and clicking submit.

No comments:

Post a Comment