Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Created For Greatness

He was five foot six, 165 pounds. Nothing about him portrayed football material. But “Rudy” had a dream.

Daniel Eugene Ruettiger was born August 23, 1948, the third of fourteen children. He had trouble learning because of dyslexia-a condition little understood at the time. Following high school and two years in the Navy, Rudy worked at a power plant, but his dream was attending and playing football for the University of Notre Dame.

Despite the odds against him, Rudy pursued his vision. His grades didn’t meet the University’s high standards, so he spent two difficult years at Holy Cross College before his acceptance into Notre Dame.

Ara Parseghian was Notre Dame’s head coach and encouraged walk-ons. So Rudy did, and his hard work earned him a spot on the scout team helping the varsity prepare for games. His senior year approached and with it his final chance to dress. New head Coach Dan Devine gave him the opportunity. Rudy played two plays: one with the kickoff squad and the other as defensive end. On the second play he sacked Georgia Tech’s quarterback and was carried off the field by his teammates, making him only the second person to receive this honor.

Rudy’s vision was playing football for Notre Dame. Jeremiah had a destiny too. Before birth, God set him apart to speak his Word to the world: Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations. (Jeremiah 1:5)

God knows us before birth and even conception. My existence was his idea which gives me value and purpose. And you too. Whenever I get discouraged or feel inadequate, I remind myself I’m a child of the Creator. What others think of me or say about me is immaterial. God loves me unconditionally and has a magnificent plan for my life.

Are you trusting God to reveal his plan for you? You were created with purpose.

Prayer: When we’re tempted to lose sight of who we are, God remind us we’re created with unlimited potential.

3 comments:

  1. "What others think of me or say about me is immaterial. God loves me unconditionally and has a magnificent plan for my life." Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this on the Welcoming Spirit blog hop! I love the movie Rudy, and love how his life is such an inspiration. I had not thought of how well the Jeremiah quote fits with his story, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful reminder that God has plans in store for all of us if we will but seek His will. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete