Monday, March 12, 2012

Power To Control

All I saw and heard was a brief flash and high pitch whine. Several hundred feet later, I caught up with the culprits at the red light. Two riders on “crotch rockets,” as some refer to these particular makes of motorcycle. As they waited on the green light, one revved his engine and looked around nervously. I imagined the scene before it unfolded.

The light turned and he raced off. His quick start turned tragic when shifting into second gear. The front end rose like an angry wave, whipping him and his bike to the ground with lightning fury. He quickly discovered he lacked control over what he thought he commanded.

I sometimes feel powerless over thoughts, actions and emotions. Like a motorcycle given too much gas, they careen out of control-rearing up unexpectedly, wobbling in all directions, taking me places I want to avoid. And the ensuing crashes damage me and those close to me.

But there’s good news: We (can) demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (II Corinthians 10:5)

I can’t control what enters my mind, but I can choose what to do with it and how long I let it hang around. Ungodly thoughts should be captured quickly lest they arouse emotions producing unwanted results. Motorcycles are controlled by balance, brakes and throttle. Minds are fed through eyes, ears, hands, noses and taste buds. Controlling what our senses encounter affects what our minds experience. And mind command delivers power for behavior control.

Let God equip you to control damaging thoughts before they control you.

Prayer: Lord and Master, enable us to control what harms us and others.

(You can receive these devotions in your email by entering your address on the sidebar and clicking submit. And if it blessed you, share it with a friend.)

No comments:

Post a Comment