Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Prove It

Matthew 12:38 One day some teachers of religious law and Pharisees came to Jesus and said, "Teacher, we want you to show us a miraculous sign to prove your authority.” (NLT)

The idiom “the proof is in the pudding” is actually a corruption of the adage, “the proof of the pudding is in the eating” and basically means something’s quality is known only through direct testing. “Scientific proof” is a more familiar phrase. Scientists conduct experiments and obtain a particular result. The process is repeated-perhaps several times, and if they attain the same result a conclusion is reached. Those who doubted Jesus’ claim he was the Messiah and God wanted the same. Scientific proof. He could have given it but chose not to. What he wanted from them-and wants from us, is belief in what can’t be logically concluded. This entails faith, and it is only by this we relate to God. I can’t see, taste, touch, smell or hear him, but I know he exists and loves me unconditionally. I prove this to myself and others through a lifestyle of consistent obedience to his standards and a walk of integrity.

God’s not a figment of imagination but of faith.

3 comments:

  1. Martin, I never thought about the corruption of that adage...I know I say "the proof is in the pudding"!
    Thanks for this thoughtful look at faith vs. proof. I'm glad you are writing your blog...we all need these daily words of encouragement.
    Thanks for sharing some of your great posts on Bless a Blogger Friday! I'm praying God will continue to bless your writing ministry.
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe because I have seen Him. He is all around me and IN me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God’s not a figment of imagination but of faith.-So true! May the Holy Spirit of God show more and more the Truth of our faith!

    ReplyDelete