Saturday, January 21, 2017

Safe in the Shelter - Martin Wiles

Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1 NLT

The shelter was only a few hundred feet away, but at the moment it may as well have been a mile. 

I had grown accustomed to storms while hiking in the mountains. Which is why I started early in the morning so we could finish before late afternoon when storms were known to arrive. 

On this particular day, my brother, daughter, and I were on the Appalachian Trail in northern Georgia. Our plans were to arrive at our destination around noon, set up camp, and continue hiking for a few more miles. 

We reached our destination on time, but as soon as we unloaded, thunder began to roll across the mountains. We quickly set up our tents. No sooner had we driven the last stake than powerful pelting rain, sharp peels of lighting, and booming bangs of thunder slithered across the mountains. A trail shelter was only 300 hundred feet away, but we couldn’t reach it at the moment. 

During a brief lull in the lightning and thunder, we made a run for the shelter. Soaked to the skin, we huddled in the crude building for the next four hours, listening as one storm after another tumbled across the mountains. 

The psalmist had also discovered a shelter in the God he served—a shelter that provided rest and comfort. The mountain storms I’ve encountered were nothing compared to some of the life storms I’ve experienced. 

During these times, the shelter of God’s protection often seemed close but unreachable. But it only appeared that way. God always has a shelter for my troubled soul. The storm may continue to rage, but I’m protected from harm when I rest in God’s sheltering arms. 

Just as we had to make an effort to get to the shelter, I too must run to the shelter God provides. My effort demonstrates to God that I recognize my need and love for Him—that I’ve come to understand I can’t handle life on my own. 

Shelters of various styles dot the length of the Appalachian Trail. God is my ultimate shelter, but He manifests Himself in different ways. Sometimes He shelters me through the presence of others. 

God’s shelters are always close when the storms of life pummel. Run to Him often, and find the protection and peace He offers. 

Prayer: Father, may we remember that You are our ultimate shelter in the storms of life. 

Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment