Monday, July 21, 2014

Is Jesus Really the Only Way to God? by Martin Wiles

Series: Hey God…I Have a Question

Wouldn’t it be nice if there was more than one way to get to God? 

Siri is the newest craze associated with Apple iPhones. Press a button and hear, “What may I help you with?” If it’s driving directions I need, I simply say, “Siri, can you give me driving directions to _____________,” and she immediately accommodates. Unlike other GPS applications which may offer more than one way, Siri merely gives me her way…the quickest way…the way of least resistance. Or course, if I don’t like the route Siri offers…perhaps it is less scenic than I desire, I can use any number of driving applications to discover an alternate course. Most places can be reached by more than one way. Even a deserted island can be accessed by boat, plane, or helicopter. 

What if there was more than one way to connect with God? That would mean millions more would be in heaven. But is there? The Bible proclaims, There is salvation in no one else! God has given no other name under heaven by which we must be saved. (Acts 4:12 NLT)

God hasn’t established the only-one-way-to-him route because he’s prejudice or because he enjoys showing favoritism. Nor is God’s one way his method of keeping some out of heaven—though it accomplishes that as well. I don’t have to like or agree with God’s means either, but if I’m to spend eternity with him, I have to come his way.  

The Old Testament sacrifices demonstrated God’s idea of what’s necessary to inhabit his presence. Purity. Perfection. Atonement. In spite of the worshipper’s best efforts, none of those sacrifices were. Neither could they remove the worshipper’s sins. They did, however, point to a future perfect sacrifice that would wipe away a person’s sins. Jesus was it. The perfect, sinless Messiah of God. When I identify with him through forgiveness, he cleanses my sins and fits me for God’s presence. He and only he can take me there.

Have you been trying to reach God through some other avenue than Jesus?

Prayer: Thank You, Father God, for making the way possible for us to come to You. 

Enter to win a free copy of my newest bookGrits & Grace & God. Visit the following link and sign up: https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/99040-grace-grits-god-manna-from-heaven-served-up-southern-style

No comments:

Post a Comment