Saturday, July 19, 2014

Christ’s Shirt by Martin Wiles

I’m not wearing this shirt anymore when we go out, I huffed.
  
Smile when I can’t find what I’m looking for when the associate is unaccommodating. Be kind when someone jumps in front of me because they assume their time is more important. And say “Have a nice day” to the person taking my food order when they act as if they could care less if I patronize their restaurant. All because I’m donning a cheap cotton t-shirt with a church logo.

But I suppose my actions and reactions are crucial. After all, my church’s reputation is at risk. Someone could stay away if I report their poor customer service skills to the manager or threaten never to shop there again. Or worse yet, if I act like a jerk, utter an explicative, or lose my cool and stomp away in a rage.  

Disgracing my church is really the lesser issue; shaming Christ is at stake. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. (Galatians 3:27)

I’m not only clothed in the church’s shirt; I’m dressed with Christ. And since I’m baptized in him, I represent him everywhere I go. I can’t shed him when I tire of trying to be good. I may imagine aggravating people can’t read my mind so not to worry, but they do through every action, thought and attitude. 

We are Christ’s shirts, and only he can give wisdom and power to wear him well. To be kind when we’d rather be unkind, share when we feel stingy, and love when revenge is more enticing. Paul says it best; Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. (Colossians 4:6). 

Prayer: Lord Jesus, may our clothing be sprayed with the starch of kindness.

Enter to win a free copy of my newest book, Grits & Grace & God. Visit the following link and sign up: https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/99040-grace-grits-god-manna-from-heaven-served-up-southern-style

No comments:

Post a Comment