Thursday, June 13, 2013

Wandering Jew by Martin Wiles

The name is appropriate because that’s exactly what it does.

Wandering Jew is a plant that lives up to its name. Since it’s vine-like in nature, it has a tendency to wander and will easily fill a hanging basket, making a beautiful addition to any living room, patio, or porch. Every notch from which new growth appears is a potential new flower. The plant can be severed at any juncture and placed directly in soil.

Jesus told a story about a young boy who also wandered. Feeling restless and not wanting to await his father’s death, he requested his inheritance ahead of time. After receiving his money, he packed all his belongings and moved to a distant land, and there he wasted all his money in wild living (Luke 15:13 NLT). He wandered into an unhealthy situation and quickly wasted what his father worked diligently to preserve for him. Fortunately, he came to his senses before it was too late and returned home to a father who welcomed him with open arms.

My Christian pilgrimage has also been sprinkled with episodes of wandering. Because I thought the world’s philosophy more enlightening, because I thought the world’s manner of behaving more exciting, and because I was just hard-headed.

Like the prodigal, I discovered my life is a trust. God gave it, he determines the length of it, and he can take it if I neglect him or rebelliously refuse the plan he has for me. On my own, I’ll repeatedly wander into forbidden and unhealthy areas, but with God guiding me I’ll make healthier choices and live with an abundant spirit I can’t wander into anywhere else.

Have your wanderings taken you away from God? He’s always waiting with open arms for your return.

Prayer: Father, we acknowledge we often take paths leading away from You. Woo us back with Your gentle love that we might enjoy abundant living with You.

Why not try one of my wife's favorite recipes? Visit the Recipe Page.


No comments:

Post a Comment