Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Joy Not Misery

Philippians 4:4 Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! (NLT)

It’s true. Misery does love company. In some of my miserable episodes, making others miserable made them more bearable. Every truly unhappy person I’ve known wanted me to be miserable with them. And life does deliver some pretty wretched curves: divorce, job loss, peer pressure, back stabs, unfaithfulness, death, and unwanted decisions. But more often than not when I’m miserable I don’t covet someone else’s misery on top of mine. I need rays of hope, words of encouragement, hugs, an arm around my shoulder or someone to just sit silently beside me. It’s what others need too. I tend to magnify the negative, so I need someone to accentuate the positive-to assure me there’s light at the end of the tunnel. Miserable circumstances don’t mean God has lost control, just that I’ve lost perspective and need an encourager to help me regain it.
 

Life is always more enjoyable if lived with joy, and when we’re connected to a powerful loving God happiness is possible even in miserable circumstances.

3 comments:

  1. So true..well said, Martin! Thanks for sharing this on Bless a Blogger. I continue to pray that God blesses your blogging ministry and your ministry in general. Bless you! Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God there is Someone we can always go to in any circumstance. He will always offer comfort, guidance and love. He is a great listener and always knows our heart! Today I am thanking the Lord that I am His! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've learned that joy does not depend on what's happening outside us, but on what is happening inside! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete