Monday, February 6, 2012

Bare Essentials

Matthew 13:5-6 Other seeds fell on shallow soil with underlying rock. The seeds sprouted quickly because the soil was shallow. But the plants soon wilted under the hot sun, and since they didn’t have deep roots, they died. (NLT)

I could never bring myself to do it, but I knew quite a few college classmates who did. Their philosophy: “Do just enough to get by.” Though capable of better, they were satisfied with C’s. Less work but still eligible for grants and scholarships. They relished in bare essentials: the art of doing just enough to pass, keep my job, get re-elected or please my spouse. I’ve tried it with flowers by purchasing a large pot and skimping on the soil. I fill the bottom half with pot shards, bricks and other paraphernalia, but as the roots outgrow the shallow soil problems develop. Stunted growth, wilting, and unsightly foliage appear. Life is similar. When I root myself in shallow soil it shows up. Unhealthy relationships grow heartache. Unsightly actions bloom tainted testimonies. Shallow spiritual disciplines produce dissatisfaction. But rooting in the rich soil of loving God supremely and others as myself emits an inviting fragrance satisfying me and attracting others to root in the same soil.

Don’t let the bare essentials be the most essential things you do.

1 comment:

  1. What a great analogy. I want to be firmly rooted and grounded in God.

    ReplyDelete