Wednesday, July 22, 2026

A Voice of Thanksgiving - Patricia Jordan

A Voice of Thanksgiving
That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving, And tell of all Your wondrous works. Psalm 26:7 ESV

Using a voice of thanksgiving is one of the best ways to witness for God.

During our children’s childhood, we attended churches where, on the fifth Sunday night, folks gave testimonies or asked for their favorite hymns to be sung. I enjoyed it and chatted with many people about how their testimonies uplifted me. 

One summer, I attended a friend’s church revival. People gave testimonies about how God answered their prayers. A woman in the choir told how God delivered her from heavy alcohol consumption. Since then, her life had become fuller and more enriched than ever before. She cried tears of joy over her new life in Christ. I didn’t see her as being too emotional, and neither did those around her. They hugged her or patted her on the back as the choir stepped down. 

In 1975, I lived in Atlanta, GA. I had lived an ungodly lifestyle for several years, moving from place to place and job to job and running from my bad decisions. I worked full-time, but still lost my car. I felt discouraged. But my sister Deena encouraged me to join the military.

On a Sunday morning in April, while sipping coffee, I thought about my life’s direction. While lost in thought, I saw myself sitting with my parents and four older siblings on a church pew during a revival night. I was nine that summer. As the choir sang their last song, the preacher looked in my direction and asked, “Are you washed in the soul-cleansing blood of Jesus?”

I wasn’t a Christian but wanted to be one. I went forward, confessed my faith in Jesus, and was baptized Sunday night. My decision on that revival night, along with reliving that memory, changed the direction of my life. I found a local church, joined it, and then investigated the military idea. I’ve lived a Christian life ever since. 

Sharing testimonies strengthens our faith and the faith of others. I love telling the story of how I returned to faith in God at twenty-three. 

With a voice of thanksgiving, tell others what God has done in your life. 


Patricia Jordan is a seventh-generation southerner from the Appalachian Mountains. She is thankful to return and live there after living in various parts of the world with her retired military husband. They have raised three daughters. She has published You Are Valuable (Westbow), which is her story of how she overcame chronic low-grade depression through Bible study, prayer, and talk therapy. Lately, she has turned her writing talents to writing devotions about walking with God.  


I invite you to try my book Hurt, Hope, and Healing in eBook or paperback. If you seek hope and healing because of the hurts you have faced, this book is for you. Click on the title above to order your copy. And thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts on Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin.



No comments:

Post a Comment