Saturday, July 2, 2016

Cast Your Cares - Martin Wiles

Cast your burden on the LORD, And He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved. Psalm 55:22 NKJV

She wasn’t any good at it because she never did it. 

My maternal grandmother was a cane pole caster, not a rod-n-reel reeler. Weather permitting, she fished every time she got a chance, but she didn’t’ take a rod-n-reel. She cut cane that grew in the swamps around their farmland and made her own fishing poles.  

Occasionally when I’d fish with her, I’d take along a rod-n-reel. She’d dip her poles near the boat, and I’d cast my line into the middle of the lake. I can’t ever remember catching anything with my rod-n-reel. I knew how to cast, but I undoubtedly wasn’t casting in the right place or with the right lures. 

There’s another type of casting that’s often been difficult for me. The kind the psalmist refers to. The type that takes my cares and anxieties and throws them onto God. Even though the Bible assures me God cares for me and doesn’t want me to be anxious over things occurring in my life, I tend let my feelings win out too many times. I forget God’s promise to sustain me. 

Whatever cares I have, God has them too. If I’m His child, He’s concerned about every detail in my life. He’s even concerned about those who aren’t His children. His love reaches out to all, but especially to those who’ve chosen to follow Him. 

How God can handle all the cares people hold onto at any given moment is beyond understanding. But, after all, He is God. He’s the sovereign ruler of the universe. He controls, guides, and sustains. All those traits equip Him to shoulder whatever is concerning me. I can only handle so much before I have a nervous breakdown, emotional burn out, or turn to substances to help get me through. If I’ll let God handle those things for me, I won’t have to experience any of that. 

Trying to handle our cares shows a lack of trust in God to do it for us. He never tires of us casting our cares on Him. Unlike my casting that never resulted in anything, casting on God always has results. We’ll reel in His peace, comfort, wisdom, and guidance to face whatever is causing our anxiety. 

Try casting God’s way. You’ll never be disappointed. 

Prayer: Father, we cast our cares on You, believing You are able to give us comfort and peace regardless of our circumstances. 

Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.  






Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment