Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Penny Saved…by Martin Wiles

“A penny saved is a penny earned.” Or “Save some for a rainy day.” Sayings I was taught growing up. And sure enough the rain fell…sometimes by the bucketfulls. And as warned I was unprepared. My philosophy was more in line with another quip: “That money is burning a hole in your pocket.”

Holey pockets were my problem as a child. No sooner had I earned or been given money than I began searching for something to spend it on. My tendency to waste money I should save combined with low salaried employment has made saving difficult for me.

Solomon addresses my tendency-and all who follow my example, in this proverb. The wise have wealth and luxury, but fools spend whatever they get (Proverbs 21:20 NLT).

Saving significant amounts of money isn’t possible for everyone-at least not consistently. Many people are employed at low wage jobs, and even with two incomes it takes their entire earnings to pay the bills and purchase other necessities. Still yet, some saving is possible. Drinking water instead of beverages at restaurants and tossing loose change into an old jar are two simple ways.

We tend to live on what we make which translates into, “The more we make the more we spend.” But we aren’t forced to. When our income exceeds our basic living expenses, it’s wise to put some aside for those rainy days…college, retirement, vehicle and home repairs, and illness. 

Spending everything we have when it’s unnecessary puts us in a pickle when the unexpected slithers along. Ask God for wisdom in saving…even if just a little. Don’t let easy credit and the desire to keep up with the Jones’ keep you on the edge of bankruptcy. Examine your lifestyle to see where your money is going and whether your spending is God-pleasing.

Prayer: God of all wisdom, give us insight to use our money wisely with foresight and restraint.

Try one of my wife's favorite recipes. Visit the Recipe Room

No comments:

Post a Comment