Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Created With Purpose

Why am I here? What's my purpose? Questions I've considered. And most everyone else too.

Adolescents contemplate them and the answers normally chart their life's course. Not considering them leads to roller coaster rides with little direction and accompanying unwise decisions.

I faced them as a teenager but never reached clear conclusions. My dad was a preacher. Was it my destiny to be one too? My grandfather drove an ice cream truck, and that too seemed quite appealing, especially living in the steaming South. My mom worked at vehicle dealerships. Perhaps I was destined for award winning salesmanship.

But God revealed his purpose to me before adolescence: Ministry. At twelve I accepted it-but not at fifteen. Then rebelling and going my own way seemed more attractive and fun. So I did for eight years. Then it stopped being enjoyable. My fun wasn't taking me anywhere and the years were accumulating. So I decided to try God's plan. It didn't remove each obstacle or solve every problem, but I had the peace of knowing I was going in the right direction fulfilling my life's purpose.

Paul maintains God equips his children with various gifts and talents. Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly. (Romans 12:6)

While many people possess identical gifts, they are exercised differently because of circumstances, opportunities and personalities. Mine were too but I used them my way-or rather God's way for me.

My conclusion I had purpose was finally reached when I accepted God's design. There's no one else identical to me-or you. And no one can adequately do what God plans for us. This is our time.

God creates with purpose in mind but never forces his plan on us. It's ours to accept or reject. But not without consequence. Success and fulfillment come by doing his plan his way.

Prayer: Father, guide us to discover Your purpose and give us the courage to live it out.

Receive these devotions in your email by entering your address on the blog sidebar and clicking submit. If this post blessed you, please share it with a friend.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I feel I was also created for ministry. Yet, God calls us each to different areas and gives us grace to use our gifts. In his eyes, it is all equal as long as we do what we were created to do.
    Thank you for linking with On Your Heart Tuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Martin! I'm all about purpose too and encouraging people to find their daily eternal purpose. I felt called into ministry in college. As a woman, that wasn't always an accepted thing, depending on your denomination. My story is long, but to make it short, His calling didn't look like I thought it would when I was 18. Now here I am writing for Him... Doing daily whatever He is calling me to do. Keep up the ministry and encouragement! If you need some yourself visit me @ wordsbyandylee.com. I found you on Juana Mikels link party. The Lord be with you!

    ReplyDelete