Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Chewing on Sin - Martin Wiles

Or don’t you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? 1 Corinthians 6:19 NLT

Nasty. Repulsive. Though he doesn’t know what an adjective is, I could tell these two were circling in his mind. 

My wife recently introduced our middle grandson to table food. We could tell baby food wasn’t satisfying him anymore. Every time he sat down at the table with us to eat, it was evident he wanted the real thing. 

One particular night, my wife cooked a spread of vegetables—broccoli among them. Since his older brother loves broccoli, we assumed he might. Additionally, it’s healthy. My wife mashed up a small piece and placed it in his mouth. His expression was priceless. Not a smile that said, “Give me more,” but a contorted scowl that sent each of us rolling with laughter appeared. Though he continued to chew on it and swallow it, he didn’t enjoy it. 

Paul reminds me my body is a temple of God’s Spirit. He took up residence when I trusted Jesus as my Savior. God’s Old Testament temple was a holy place. Not just anyone or anything could enter. Certainly nothing sinful. Since my body—and not a structure, is now the temple, nothing should change. 

Most of what I chew I swallow. If it’s nasty or repulsive, I normally spit it out. But I have been known to swallow some things I shouldn’t have as well as some things I didn’t particularly enjoy. 

Regardless of what I swallow, it comes out through the digestive process. Jesus says what I swallow through my senses will also. 

Chewing on sinful tendencies, explorations, and thoughts should produce the same contorted expression I witnessed on my grandson. But rather than swallow them as he did the broccoli, I should spit them out. Actually, I should never taste them in the first place. If I ingest them, they will pollute my temple and come out in ways that offend God. 

The best way to keep from chewing on sin is never to taste it in the first place. God’s Word tells us what spiritual food is and isn’t beneficial for us. All we have to do is read the menu. Though pleasurable for the moment, sinful food will never produce anything of lasting value. 

Chew on God’s Word and get the nutrition you need.

Prayer: Father, guide us to the spiritual nourishment that will ensure godly living. 

Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.  


Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment