Thursday, March 17, 2016

Precious to God - Martin Wiles

And the man said to me, “Daniel, you are very precious to God, so listen carefully to what I have to say to you.” Daniel 10:11 NLT

Some things become more precious with time.

As I’ve grown older, many of the things that were precious to me when I was younger no longer are. I treasure my copies of The Stars and Stripes military newspapers from the 1960’s, given to me by my father-in-law. I covet my grandmother’s old iron. I can imagine her heating it over the fireplace so she could iron her dress. 

Also precious are the thousands of handwritten sermons my father preached which now linger in my closet and on my bookshelves. And of course, there’s my baby book and baby blanket. The only two things my mother saved from my childhood. And the flag presented by the Veteran’s Association to my mother at my father’s funeral is also high on my precious list. 

I attempt to hold possessions loosely, but all of the above I cling to tightly. No one has enough money to buy them. They will be passed down to my children and grandchildren. 

Daniel was privileged to have a heavenly messenger give him a vision of the future. When he appeared, he informed Daniel he was precious to God. He doesn’t specify why. Perhaps because Daniel had remained faithful to God through the years as he served pagan kings. 

God’s pronouncement wasn’t unique to Daniel. Any of God’s children are just as precious. This consoles me—especially when I interact with those who don’t hold the same opinion of me. They might choose a different adjective. 

God considers me precious because I’m His creation, created in His image. Though sin has marred the image, it’s capable of resurrection and refining when I allow Christ and, by virtue of association, the Holy Spirit into my heart. God molds me into the person He wants me to be. 

God has a plan and purpose for his children. That too makes me precious. I wasn’t an accident or a surprise to God. He knows the plans He has for me and wants me to know them as well. 

As I consider my children precious—even though they may occasionally disappoint me, so God considers me precious because I’m family. His blood runs through my veins. I’m special because of the nature of our relationship. I simply must nurture it. 

As God’s child, you too are precious to Him. Revel in the relationship you have.

Prayer: Father, we praise You for making us precious in Your sight. Enable us to live in the bounty of that relationship. 


Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.  






Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment