Thursday, March 3, 2016

Frequent Flyer - Martin Wiles

Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. Joshua 1:8 NLT

“If I was out six weeks, you would forget about me.”

An older deacon in the first church I pastored said it, and I believe it. Our church was small, we were nestled in a rural community, and we rarely had visitors. Since the health of the church depended on the people who were current members, it was important to keep them happy. A part of doing that was making sure they were contacted if they were out. In spite of the fact that most of the congregation was related, it was easy to overlook those who were absent. Before we knew it, we would find ourselves saying, “You know what, I haven’t seen ___________in three weeks.” 

While encouraging others to be frequent flyers at church is important, there’s another frequent flyer program that’s even more essential: visiting God’s Word. As Joshua received his commission to lead the children of Israel into the Promised Land, God assured him He would be with him. But He also cautioned him to visit His Word often. He was to study and meditate on it day and night. Only then would he would be successful. 

As airlines offer frequent flyer rewards, so God extends returns to those who visit His Word frequently. And as I tend to forget about those I don’t see on a regular basis, so the same will happen if I neglect God’s Word. 

Visiting God’s Word frequently gives me a base from which to operate my life. God’s standards are instilled in my mind and are then transferred into my heart. This in turn coats my conscience which God will work through when the enemy tempts me to violate one of His commands. 

God’s Word gives me comfort. God didn’t hide the struggles of His people but demonstrated how He was capable of guiding them through any experience they might face. Visiting His Word regularly gives me assurance He’ll do the same for me. 

Frequenting God’s Word often also allows me to incorporate promises I can share with others who need comfort along life’s rocky path. What I don’t visit habitually, I will soon forget. Repetition is the master teacher. 

God rewards those who frequent His Word regularly. Are you a frequent flyer?

Prayer: Father, instill in us a desire to return to Your Word over and over again. 


Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.  






Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment