Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Touch of Encouragement by Martin Wiles

Like many people, I want mine shortly after my feet hit the floor in the morning. Without it, my morning doesn’t seem to proceed as smoothly.

I love coffee. I suppose I inherited my adoration from my paternal grandparents since neither of my parents were coffee drinkers. Nothing compared to an early afternoon cup of coffee as we sat in the den discussing family, religious, and political occurrences. But some would say I’m not a true coffee drinker because my cup of coffee must be prefaced with sugar and cream...enough to take away the bitterness. These added ingredients encourage me to drink the java which in turn makes my mornings brighter. 

Words of encouragement have the power to do the same thing. Let us think of ways to motivate (encourage) one another to acts of love and good works (Hebrews 10:24 NLT).

Giving encouragement is challenging. I find it easier to focus on the negative rather than the positive. And it seems I’m not alone. Most of what I hear on any given day—whether on the news or in conversation, is negative. But something positive infuses a bit of fresh air. The world is bombarded by discouraging news, so it’s my duty to stem the flow as much as possible.

Encouraging others improves my attitude as well as the other person’s. Negativism breeds negativism, but optimism is just as contagious. When I ponder positive scenarios, it leads to an entirely different outcome.

When I encourage, I transfer to others what God has done and is doing for me. His words are always encouraging, and his directives—even when they contain a negative element, aim for a positive outcome.

While giving encouragement takes effort, doing so builds self-esteem and optimism in me and others. Who can you encourage today?

Prayer: God of all creation, prod us to spread encouragement to everyone we come in contact with.

Need a fresh perspective on money matters? Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Martin! I am coming over from Wednesdays Prayer Girls.

    I have found that I am more negative than positive in my outlook too. (My post is about whining...case in point!) It's so much easier to see what's wrong. No, you are not alone in that.

    Trying to make my thoughts more positive is definitely a goal of mine. Telling people what God has done in your life is a great idea for encouragement. Maybe I could borrow it?
    Blessings!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete