Friday, June 7, 2013

Sober Thinking by Martin Wiles

We were on our way to eat South Carolina Low Country barbecue, hash and rice when he pulled out in front of us and began driving erratically. The driver swerved from side to side, barely missing several head-on collisions. Several episodes of veering off the road made us cringe as we imagined the vehicle turning over.

These and other irregular actions made us pronounce the driver drunk, but we may have been mistaken. He could have been texting or high on drugs. Perhaps his passenger was having a medical emergency, and he was doing his best to get them to a hospital.


Just as it’s easy to misjudge someone’s actions, so it’s also easy to misunderstand what God states about his children. Isaiah, however, was sure of his status. The LORD called me before my birth; from within the womb he called me by name (Isaiah 49:1 NLT).

Sober thinking means admitting I’m not perfect, but I am God’s masterpiece (Ephesians 2:10). I’m the only one like me, and there’s not another that comes close. God didn’t clone me, nor is anyone else a clone of me. Since God doesn’t create junk, I’m special and unique.

Sober thinking requires accepting God’s security. Nothing can touch my life that isn’t allowed by a merciful Heavenly Father. Even if others reject me, he won’t. I’m unusual because I’m set apart for his service.

Since I’m special, I have potential. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. I also have a marvelous future…a place Christ is preparing for me…a destination beyond comparison to anything I’ve ever witnessed.

Thinking these thoughts isn’t being proud or stuck up. It’s simply saying what God says. So go ahead and think God’s thoughts about yourself. It will change your outlook on life.

Prayer: Enable us Father to think Your thoughts about us so we can be spiritually and emotionally healthy.

Do you know someone who might need a daily dose of encouragement? Why not forward this site to them?

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of "thinking God's thoughts" about myself. It's easy to vacillate between pride and self-deprecation, but if we hold to His thinking, we'll have the right view of ourselves. I'm visiting from Bible Love Notes link-up. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete