Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Distracted by Distractions by Martin Wiles

“Curiosity killed the cat.” It hasn’t ours…at least not yet, but only because we try to control her distractions.

Emma is a rescue kitty we adopted from the local humane society. Since she still has a great deal of kitten in her, she’s easily distracted by things we don’t want her to be distracted by. A small piece of litter from her box. A tassel dangling from an expensive curtain. A costly piece of glass nestled on a table. Cords on our plantation blinds. The blinds. Cables connected to our electronic devices. When we leave her alone for a few hours, we never know what devilment we’ll come home to. Controlling her distractions is a full-time job.


David asked God to guard him as he would his own eyes. An honorable request since he was drawn toward distractions as well. Guard me as you would guard your own eyes. Hide me in the shadow of your wings (Psalm 17:8 NLT).

I know the feeling too. I’m often distracted by distractions. And not all of them are sinful but left unchecked they can steal my attention from God, family, work, friends, and my consideration of the most important details in life. Those who are too easily distracted are sometimes diagnosed with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder), but when there are spiritual elements involved I call it SADD (Spiritual Attention Deficit Disorder).

Time in God’s Word helps me focus. Here I find general principles to apply to my specific distractions. Through regular prayer moments, God impresses upon me the direction he wants me to travel. And by hanging around other believers, I discover I’m not the only one distracted. They encourage me to focus, and we learn from each other’s mistakes.

So when you’re distracted by too many distractions, let God re-focus you on what’s important.

Prayer: Merciful God, when we’re distracted by things that are less than Your best for us, draw us back to the most important aspects of life.

Order you copy from Amazon today. Available in print (9.95) or Kindle (1.95).

No comments:

Post a Comment