Monday, October 1, 2012

Expect Something Better by Martin Wiles

Series: Living Life To The Fullest

When I was young, I had big dreams. At twelve, I felt God wanted me to be a Bible teacher and perhaps preacher. I knew it would take education. By the time I reached the teen years, I wasn’t sure anymore. Going to school lost all appeal. As a young adult, I yearned to drive a truck, but one day of school changed my mind. 

All my dream jobs conjured up pictures of enjoyment and a hefty paycheck. I finally managed to achieve the preacher and Bible teacher position but as of yet haven’t witnessed the bulging paycheck. But it’s unnecessary. I can live a fulfilled life by doing what God has gifted me to do while anticipating a better life in eternity.

As an aged apostle, John envisioned a brighter future. Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away (Revelation 21:1).

Living life to the fullest is not about escaping the harsh facets of reality. Nor does it adopt a “pie in the sky by and by” mentality. Abundant living absorbs the most out of this life while realizing there’s a better life to come.

Sin and its consequences taint this life and steal much of what God intends we enjoy. Death, tragedies, crime, abuse and countless forms of inequality are rife, but for the believer faith is what builds our hope in what we cannot yet see. We enjoy the present creation but long for a new earth and heaven where all sin’s consequences are erased. So when life gets you down, let your faith look forward to a beautiful eternity with the One who gave himself for our sins.

Prayer: Thank You merciful God for preparing a wonderful eternal place for those who accept Your love.

2 comments:

  1. Great life lesson, and so much wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we put too much pressure on ourselves to live the dream our live big. Im learning that it's okay to be content! :)

    ReplyDelete