Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Work’s Goodness

Coins jingling in my pocket and bills resting in my wallet. My money. It felt good.

My parents taught me about the goodness of work and tested their opinion with chores. But I loved work. My grandmother was an Avon lady and took me along when ringing doorbells and saying; “Avon calling.”

I spent summers with my grandparents and worked with my grandfather on the ice cream truck. A sumptuous job with fringe benefits. I progressed to bagging groceries at Piggly Wiggly. From plants to mills to offices to churches, I worked.

There is honor in work as Paul relates; For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat. (II Thessalonians 3:10)

Mental and physical limitations prevent large numbers from working. Others seek employment but can’t find any. But some take no initiative.

An old saying purports; “An idle mind is the devil’s workshop.” Obviously it’s true for Paul quickly warns the idle about meddling. (v.11) When there’s nothing productive to produce, we tend to manufacture gossip, crime, meddling, immoral activities and untamed imaginations. None of which generate worthwhile goods.

Honorable work provides exercise, focus, appreciation for possessions, enhances leisure time, improves society, keeps us from trouble and most importantly honors God. It’s his plan and remembering we work for him can make any job pleasant. Charitable work and God’s work are more enjoyable and always available even when unemployment lines are long. 

Prayer: Spirit, show us the work You desire we do and guide us to complete it with joy.

You can receive these devotions in your email box by entering your email address on the side bar and clicking submit. If this post blessed you, share it with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment