Monday, October 19, 2015

Hide n Seek - Martin Wiles

I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11 NLT

What appeared dead on any given day of the week came alive once a year. 

The small white country church stood on an isolated road. While the pews bustled with people years ago, only a few still managed to show up. But on one day of the year, the grounds bustled with activity: the day before Easter. On that Saturday, parents and grandparents would come out in force to hide Easter eggs for children. 

Since the previous winter’s oak leaves still hovered over the little church’s yard, adults and older teens had no trouble finding hiding spots. Drop an egg, cover it with leaves, and move on to the next spot. When someone yelled, “Okay, find the eggs,” children spilled from the church and tumbled across the yard. Hiding and finding eggs for Easter egg hunts is something that never seems to get old. 

I’ve hidden my share of Easter eggs. I’ve also hidden some other things. Money, candy, my favorite snack cakes, weapons. Or my feelings, anger, fear, embarrassment. But the most beneficial thing I’ve ever hidden was the same thing the psalmist did: God’s Word. 

Hiding God’s Word in my heart takes effort. I can’t learn it or hide it by osmosis. I can’t sleep with a Bible under my pillow every night and expect the instructions to seep into my mind. Hiding takes action such as making time every day to read and meditate on God’s Word. Finding particular verses that speak to certain areas of personal concern also imbeds it in my heart. When I obey God’s commands and claim his promises, I hide them where they can never be found and removed by someone else.  

To do any of the above requires love for God’s Word. Only as I see its relevance and believe its truth will I attempt to put it where it can never be lost. When I tuck it in my heart, it will always be there when I seek it. 

Take some measured steps to hide God’s Word in your heart.

Prayer: Father, may we always see the urgency of hiding Your Word in our hearts. 

Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles and get a 20% discount on any book. Click here to see selections.  






Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment