Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Pleasing God - Martin Wiles

And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him. Hebrews 11:6 NLT

Children live to please; grandchildren do as well. 

My wife and I have the privilege of keeping our grandson every day while our daughter works. Though less than two years of age, he lives to please and is quite excited when he does. Putting away his toys brings a handclap of joy when the job is done. When we ask him to fold his hands for the blessing before dinner, he eagerly obeys. Handing us an item is done without fussing or arguing. Should we say, “Let’s go to Pop’s school,” he heads for the door. Regardless of what we ask, he obeys. 

However, we know the time is quickly approaching when he won’t be as eager to please. The desire to disobey will sneak in, and his sinful nature will rear its ugly head. 

Acceptance—a basic human need, explains children’s eagerness to please. By pleasing others and receiving their praise, approval, or thanks, this need is satisfied. Being accepted results in happiness and healthy living. Feeling unaccepted delivers the opposite. 

Parents aren’t the only ones I’m born with an innate desire to please. I also have this inborn need for God’s acceptance. My instincts drive me to worship and attempt to please him. If I neglect or ignore this need, I’ll find myself going down paths of rebellion—just as children do when they reach the “terrible twos.” But if I move toward this instinctive desire, I’ll gain his acceptance. 

Faith is the only way to please God. Faith in what his Son Jesus did on Calvary’s cross. Faith he has an eternal home awaiting me. Faith he’ll see me through every trial. Faith he can show me abundant living. Faith he’ll work all things for my good even when they aren’t good. Faith he’ll enable me to do what he’s given me gifts to do. Faith, plain and simple. 

Faith in God drives us to obey him, and this is the only way we can please God. Are you living to please God or someone else?

Prayer: Father, enable us to please You by living a life of faith in Your Word and promises. 



Maggie is a teenager who chooses love over a dream. Help me secure a Kindle Scout contract. Click to preview & vote. http://ow.ly/Qc3UP    









____________________________________

Come Empty – Pour Out Life’s Hurts and Receive God’s Healing Love. Use coupon MWiles for a 20% discount on ebook. http://ow.ly/Q0h3T










Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines. Share this devotion with a friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment