Monday, May 13, 2013

A Conformed Rebel by Martin Wiles

In general, I’m a conformist, but there are times when I’m a rebel at heart.

Take driving for example. I’ve always obeyed the speed limit-even when I was a teenager. The only traffic ticket I’ve ever received was a warning for speeding, but even that was unintentional. I had just placed oversized tires on my truck, and they misgauged the speedometer. I also drive on the right side of the road, face forward when I do, and wear a seat belt even though I don’t particularly enjoy the strap over my shoulder.

But there are times when I want to break driving laws. Drive 90 in a 70. Not slow down for the 45 mph sign posted in the middle of nowheresville. Ram into the back of the idiot who cut me off. Slam on brakes for the tailrider behind me. And just have a good case of road rage.

But I contain my rebel spirit because God says, Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think (Romans 12:2 NLT).

My drive to conform to God’s commands and not the world’s begins with thoughts. What I think on long enough will eventually spill over into actions…good or bad, unless I allow God to change my way of thinking. Actions are initially just one time occurrences, but repeated actions become a lifestyle and eventually form character-the person we truly are not necessarily the person people see. Lifestyles in turn have consequences. An obedient lifestyle summons God’s blessings while disobedient living invites his loving wrath.

Being a conformist is admirable as long as it’s God’s directives we’re adhering to. Let God renew your mind daily so you can experience his best for you.

Prayer: Father in heaven, we give our minds to Your conforming work so our actions will in turn honor You.

My PhotoThanks for stopping by. Why not try one of our delicious recipes along with this daily dose of encouragement?

No comments:

Post a Comment