Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What’s Mine Is…by Martin Wiles

His nickname was “Double T,” but I knew him better by what snuggled in his pocket each Sunday morning…a single dollar bill.

Double T was a kind man, well-known in the community, well-liked in the area, a faithful church attendee, and a regular giver…of one dollar. Had his offering been a “widow’s mite” it would have sufficed-but it wasn’t. He was a good friend, but I often wondered how he imagined the church could pay her bills and serve evangelistically if everyone contributed only one dollar.

“What’s mine is mine, and what’s yours in mine” is a common quip spoken in jest when a woman wants to remind her husband that everything really belongs to her. But a more appropriate statement might read, “What’s mine is ours, and what’s yours is ours.” The psalmist reflects the correct attitude: The earth is the LORD’s, and everything in it. The world and all its people belong to him (Psalm 24:1 NLT).

God owns the cattle on a thousand hills (Psalm 50:10) which implies everything I have is his too. What’s mine is his because he’s given me the talents, physical abilities, and opportunities to amass it, invent it, or produce it. It’s only mine on loan. Since God owns all I possess, I don’t have the final say so on how I employ it. Well…I do, but I don’t. Misuse gives only one dollar when it’s not a legitimate mite and ignores service opportunities because I’m just too busy or really don’t care.

When I recognize that “mine” is really God’s, I’ll use everything I own in manners that promote his kingdom’s growth, provide for my basic needs and those of others, and at the same time enjoy each breath God gives. How can you better let your actions say, “What’s mine is God’s?”

Prayer: Merciful God, giver of all we possess and enjoy, challenge us to use Your gifts to us in ways that effectively and sincerely serve You and others.

An ebook on getting the Christian life right. Click the title-Authentic Christianity, for downloading information.


No comments:

Post a Comment