Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Speaking Truth into Memory - Martin Wiles

Speaking Truth into Memory
I have recited aloud all the regulations you have given us. Psalm 119:13 NLT

Truth and temptation have interesting ways of entering our minds, so speaking truth into memory is crucial.

During elementary school, my teachers introduced me to multiplication tables. Beginning with one times one, we learned up to twelve times twelve. When we had finally mastered the twelves, we stopped. We had reached our goal.

The teacher held up large cards with the equation. No overheads or projectors existed in those days. Only after each student had stood before the class and recited their respective tables did we move to the following number.

Although I hated standing in front of the class, I always had a good memory, so the practice wasn’t difficult, just embarrassing. More than fifty years later, I still remember my multiplication tables without really thinking about the answers. Because I spoke truth repeatedly into my memory, it stuck.

The psalmist knew the importance of memorization as well. He probably wasn’t concerned with mathematical facts, but he was with the principles of God’s Word. My parents and early childhood Sunday School teachers were also. I memorized the books of the Bible and demonstrated my knowledge by participating in sword drills. I also memorized special verses in the Bible that most Christians deemed important. Verses like John 3:16 and Romans 10:9–10. Many of the verses I memorized as a child have stuck with me.

Some years ago, I bought a pocket-sized notebook and began recording special Bible verses. Many of those I had memorized as a child. Verses reminding me of God’s promises, love, and provision when facing troublesome times. Before long, I had filled the book. I keep it beside my favorite chair. Periodically, I’ll look through the book and recite the verses.

God’s Word doesn’t automatically enter our minds, but we can speak it there. Repeating verses aloud speaks truth into our memories. Doing it often speaks it into our long-term memories where it remains.

When we firmly implant it, God will use those verses to guide us through the challenges of everyday life. Regardless of the situation or emotion we face, a verse will fit.

Are you speaking truth into your mind? It’s never too late to start.

Prayer: Father, may Your word be so crucial that we would speak into our memories. 

Tweetable: Are you speaking truth into your memory? 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment