Saturday, August 15, 2020

Talking to the Wrong Person - Martin Wiles


One day he asked the woman, “Did God really say you must not eat the fruit from any of the trees in the garden?” Genesis 3:1 NLT
I shared my dilemma with her…with him.
The name is not important. He could be anyone…she could be everyone, but the stories are similar. “You can tell me. I won’t tell anyone.” He said. She said. So, I take them into my confidence and tell them the story. Perhaps of a financial struggle I’m dealing with. Or a personal matter I need advice about. Maybe an emotional struggle I want few to know about.
Later, I would run into an everyman…or everywoman…and hear, “I understand you…” I ask where they heard it. “_____ told me.” And it probably wasn’t the person I had shared it with, but someone they had shared it with who in turn felt the need to share it with someone else.
Eve discovered the consequences of talking to the wrong person. She and Adam spent each evening talking with God in the garden He had constructed for them. One day, the wrong person showed up and struck up a conversation with Eve, attempting to get her to question God’s love for her and her husband. Eve listened, ate the forbidden fruit, and the rest is history.
I grew up in an environment where I was encouraged to be open. For me, sharing my troubles with others made them easier to handle. After all, didn’t psychologists say getting things out in the open was healthier?
I also learned not everyone will keep in confidence what I tell them in confidence. Perhaps they aren’t mean spirited but just love to talk. But some are mean spirited and love to gossip, stir the pot, and create drama.
We can talk to everyone but should choose carefully whom we take into our confidence with personal matters. Make sure they can hold your confidence, and make sure they are spiritually mature enough to give you good advice. Not everyone has to know everything … nor should they. Talking to the wrong person could also bring unwanted trouble if they are the type who’d love to lead us down wrong spiritual paths.
You can’t choose your family, but you can choose what you tell them…and you can choose your friends. Choose the ones who have your best interests in mind.
Prayer: Father, give us the wisdom to know when and with whom to share our struggles.

Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment