Monday, January 27, 2020

Confronting the Crash - Martin Wiles


For last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me, and he said, “Don’t be afraid, Paul, for you will surely stand trial before Caesar! What’s more, God in his goodness has granted safety to everyone sailing with you.” Acts 27:23-24 NLT

I opened the lid. Nothing. I clicked the mouse, rubbed my hand across the touchpad, and tapped the power button. Still nothing.

As a schoolteacher, writer, and freelance editor, I depend entirely on a computer. Without a computer, I can’t make lesson plans, take attendance, or record lunches. Nor can I check emails from fellow teachers, parents, the assistant principal, or the headmaster. Neither can I connect to the overhead projector to display work for the students. While I once taught without a computer, the days of doing so have long past.

As a writer and editor, I can’t do anything without my computer. I can’t receive material from writers, I can’t post to websites, and I can’t keep up my personal writing. Yet, here I was with a dead computer. I had used it the day before and received no warning that anything was wrong.

I sat in the tent—my wife and I were on a three-day camping trip—and looked at the black screen, wondering what I was going to do. “Really, Lord,” I silently prayed. We were in a financial pickle, so I couldn’t afford to buy another one, and I had deadlines to meet and school to prepare for.

That’s when God seemed to whisper, “Email the executive editor of the website you manage.” So I did. Within two hours, she had purchased me a new computer and had it waiting for pick up at our local office store.

Life is filled with crashes. Paul faced one … literally … when the ship he was on encountered a storm, hit a sand bar, and broke apart. I tried to follow his example.

When the crash hit, I prayed with expectation. What better thing to do in the tough times than to go to the One who has everything under control. Paul prayed as well, for his safety and for that of his shipmates.

Then I did what God told me to do: emailed my editor, the one who had power to do something about my dilemma. Nor did I question God when he impressed upon me to email her. Doing so would have called my faith into question. God told Paul he wouldn’t perish on his way to Rome, nor would his shipmates if they didn’t try to escape, but headed for shore instead.

When my editor told me she had a new laptop waiting for me, I thanked her … and God. Paul, too, thanked God for saving him.

Don’t let life’s crashes crash you. With God, all things are possible.

Prayer: Father, we thank You that You are Lord over all of life’s crashes.



Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

1 comment:

  1. When life crashes, I know I need to go to God first. I am comforted when I go to Him.

    ReplyDelete