Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Just Like Me - Martin Wiles

Therefore, it was necessary for him to be made in every respect like us…so that he could be our merciful and faithful High Priest before God. Then he could offer a sacrifice that would take away the sins of the people. Hebrews 2:17 NLT

Imagine my surprise when I received a response that said: “You have the same name as my husband.” The reader who read my devotion saw her husband’s name at the end, but the place of residence didn’t match. That’s because it wasn’t her husband; it was me. He was in Canada; I was in the United States. Through this coincidence, we established a relationship. But even though we shared the same name, we shared little else. He was older and so were his children. We didn’t look the same, and I had no record of him in my genealogical records. He had great grandchildren; I only had a grandson.  

Jesus, on the other hand, was made just like me. He took on human flesh and experienced the same things I do: hunger, thirst, tiredness, betrayal, abuse, hardships, misunderstandings, rejection, financial deprivation, anger, temptation, grief. The only way he could take me to the Father was to become like me in every respect—except for my sin. 

Through Christ, God created everything, but only by becoming like me could he truly understand me. Since he has experienced similar life experiences, Jesus can identify with what I face along life’s journey. The ups and downs, the mountains and the valleys, the temptations and the triumphs. Having experienced how cruel this world can be, he can show me the mercy I so often need. Life’s knock-downs are numerous, but Christ’s grace and mercy are abundant enough to get me through them all. 

The greatest advantage, however, of Christ becoming like me was fashioned at the cross. Through his death, he took away my condemnation. Though he wasn’t sinful, he took my sin so I could go free. By faith, my sins are forgiven and no longer charged to my account. 

Have you thanked Christ lately for becoming just like you?

Prayer: Eternal God, we thank You for the love that motivated You to allow Your Son to become like us and procure our salvation. 

______________________________


Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines. Share this devotion with a friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment