Friday, February 7, 2014

The Teacher’s Challenge by Martin Wiles

Ill-prepared or unprepared words can do more harm than good.

In the children’s song, O Be Careful, Little Eyes, the final verse challenges us to: 
O be careful little mouth what you say
O be careful little mouth what you say
There's a Father up above
And He's looking down in love
So, be careful little mouth what you say

Since I was a young adult, I’ve taught at every church I’ve attended or pastored. Through the years I’ve discovered that some people take the position seriously while others don’t. Some covet teaching, and others run from the prospect of it. My grandmother spent the entire week preparing to teach her Sunday School class. I’ve known others who didn’t look at the lesson until two hours before class. 

According to James, the position of teacher should not be taken lightly. Dear brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers in the church, for we who teach will be judged more strictly. (James 3:1 NLT)

Teaching is a spiritual gift—not something I simply decide to do. If it’s my decision, I’ll be able to tell in short order that I’m not gifted to do what I’m attempting. I can be qualified without being gifted by God. 

Teaching takes preparation whether I’m being paid or not. My employer pays me to teach but not my church. Both, however, require hours of preparation to do a quality job. Just because God has gifted me to teach doesn’t mean he doesn’t expect me to hone the skill.

As a teacher, I should continuously be aware that my words have an effect on others. As a writer, I’m constantly reminded of this through other’s comments. I’m held to a higher standard and am more responsible to God. 

Teachers set an example before others. Make yours commendable. 

Prayer: Eternal God, prompt us to take seriously the gifts You give us to use. 

Martin N MichelleHelp spread the encouragement by sharing this site with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment