Saturday, February 8, 2014

Three P’s for Failure by Martin Wiles

What might appear to signal success can actually forecast failure.

Had I been Eve, I would have probably fallen to Satan’s temptations just as she did. Though I didn’t know her personally, I think I know her personality through her story. I would even venture to say my personality is similar. Psychology hadn’t been invented, but I’d risk concluding she had a Type A personality. She was driven. She hungered for more than God’s hand had dealt her. She wasn’t satisfied. She craved God’s qualities. She wanted more than 99% of the garden’s delights. She starved for them all. But what she imagined would bring delight and success delivered failure. 

Eve—like many others, capitulated to the deception of the three P’s. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. (I John 2:16 NLT)

Power can corrupt, and absolute power can wound thoroughly. Eve experienced the reality of power’s corrupting influence, and media sources frequently relay the danger hasn’t passed. God doesn’t measure my success by how many I rule over but by how many I serve. Servanthood is his yardstick of spiritual achievement. 

Yearning for popularity can also lead me to failure. Popularity by the world’s standards will often require I travel down paths reflecting disobedience to God. Adherence to God’s standards, however, makes me popular with him. What others think is immaterial.

And if I’m not careful, the longing for possessions will lead to my demise. Preoccupation with getting more steals my attention from serving God and also reflects a misunderstanding about things. They’re temporary. Only my relationship with God and the rewards he grants for my obedience last eternally.

Don’t let the three P’s lead you down a path toward failure.

Prayer: Grant us, Heavenly Father, a desire to track those paths that You say bring success. 

Begin each day with a dose of encouraging thoughts. Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment