Friday, October 11, 2013

When the Son Shines In by Martin Wiles

I had cleaned them well, but then the sunlight shone through.

To supplement our income, my wife and I clean our church—a part of which involves cleaning the solid glass front entrance doors. As I went down my list of things to do, my wife reminded me about the front doors. I wiped them and was very proud of their appearance. Then came Sunday morning. As the sun’s rays penetrated the glass, streaks and smudges appeared. How was this possible? But I’ve cleaned many a glass only to have the sun’s rays reveal what was left behind.

One of the primary means that God speaks is through his Word. For the word of God is alive and powerful…It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires (Hebrews 4:12 NLT). When he does, what I often imagine as clean isn’t so sparkling after all.

My bad attitudes are revealed when the Son shines in. Attitudes of prejudice, anger, hypocrisy, and superiority. Attitudes that don’t fit who I am as God’s child. Attitudes that need re-adjustment. And the Son shining through his Word can accomplish it if I’ll allow him.

The piercing rays also reveal my sins of omission. Not the things I’ve done that I shouldn’t have, but the things I should have done but haven’t. Visiting a sick friend. Inviting a neighbor to church. Sharing my testimony with someone who is traveling some of the rough roads I’ve been down.

But the news isn’t all bad. Not only does the Son shine on my smudges and smears but he also gives me the power to change them. Power I don’t possess on my own but supernatural power that’s available from his indwelling Spirit.

What are the smudges the Son is revealing to you? Tap into his cleaning power and enjoy a sparkling reflection.

Prayer: Thank You merciful Lord for not only revealing our smears but for also giving us the power to wipe them away.

Martin N MichelleHelp spread the encouragement by sharing this site with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment