Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Safety Net by Martin Wiles

They ran as quickly as possible; their life savings were at stake. But they were greeted with only a “Closed” sign and the demise of their savings.

The Wall Street Crash of 1929-along with hundreds of bank closings, led to loss for thousands of people. No safety net hung above the bottom to prevent people from falling into poverty’s pit. Fortunately, American President Franklin Roosevelt saw the need for one. With Congress’ help, he signed the Banking Act of 1933 and established the Federal Deposit Insurance Cooperation (FDIC) which insured depositor’s savings up to $250,000.

Now when I visit my bank, I confidently view the acronym FDIC. No fear of losing my money if the bank should close. I also have a spiritual safety net. Do not be afraid, for I am with you (Isaiah 43:5 NLT).

Security…safety, is a basic need. Being loved unconditionally-along with the provision of life’s basic necessities, helps a child grow up feeling this need has been met, which aids in healthy emotional development. God gives me a safety net by promising and delivering a sense of security. He doesn’t present a spirit of fear but one of power, love, and a sound mind. I don’t have to fear he’ll walk out on me because he loves me…and all his children, unconditionally. His love is constant. He won’t love me more if I’m good or less if I mess up.

The FDIC-along with many other welfare programs, provides a safety net for Americans and prevents them from hitting rock bottom. God’s many promises-security and unconditional love among them, assure us we’ll never hit bottom spiritually as long as we trust him to supply our needs. When life appears to have pummeled you to the bottom, remember there’s a safety net waiting.

Prayer: All Powerful God, we thank You we don’t have to live with a spirit of fear but can have confidence You’ll care for and love us unconditionally.

If you enjoyed today's devotion, why not share it with a friend?


No comments:

Post a Comment