Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Absorbing God by Martin Wiles

“Chrissy, did you hear me?” Of course she didn’t. She hadn’t even noticed me walking through the room. She was glued to and enthralled by what held her attention…the television.

Barney and Friends first aired in 1992 and quickly became my five-year-old daughter’s favorite television program. Barney was a fictional purple dinosaur who taught educational messages through optimistic songs and peculiar dances. I found him less than interesting, but from my daughter’s perspective there was no other show like it. She watched it religiously and intently. She absorbed and was absorbed.


Moses was also absorbed and by an odd sight…a bush that burned but wasn’t consumed. So enticing was the site that he desired a closer glimpse. When the LORD saw Moses coming to take a closer look, God called to him from the middle of the bush, “Moses! Moses!” “Here I am!” Moses replied (Exodus 3:4 NLT).

My primary means of absorbing more of God is involvement in his Word. This is his foremost method of revealing himself to me, but it doesn’t happen automatically. Our house houses numerous Bibles, but their presence doesn’t necessarily fill me with His presence. Absorption requires frequent visits to their pages and this requires time.

Absorbing God’s wisdom also necessitates more than simply reading his Word. I’ve read the Bible through yearly numerous times, but absorption involves more than scanning a quantity of literature. Meditating on particular verses daily-or at least several times weekly, is critical. Selecting verses that relate to my life’s circumstances or that touch on doctrinal issues increases the benefits of meditation.

Make reading God’s Word more than just a habit or casual exercise. Follow your reading of a selection with research. Then ask God what he is saying and how it applies to your life.

Prayer: Thank You merciful Lord for giving us Your Word. Encourage us to grow in our understanding of it so we can enjoy its transforming effects on our life.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, yes! Absorbing takes so much more than casual reading. I like that you reminded us of this truth today.

    Meredith

    PS Found you at the link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martin, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martin, thank you for this lovely post. I feel like God reaches out, knows what will get out attention, and uses those things to draw us in :) It's our job to pay attention! Thank you for this reminder.

    And thank you for joining our blog hop at Wednesday Wanderings!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to absorb God and His Word. And for it to be a barrier to the things the world would like me to fill my heart with. Great ideas of ways for extra absorption.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this truth, that is oftentimes missed in the "noise" around us! It can be a challenge to focus! (Thanks for linking up at Wednesday Wanderings!)
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete