Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Discerning Life’s Direction - Martin Wiles

discerning life's direction
I pondered the direction of my life, and I turned to follow your laws. Psalm 119:59 NLT

Direction determines destination, making discerning life’s direction a critical matter.

Google Maps is my favorite driving directions app. Siri is nice, but she tends to misunderstand my southern accent. With Google Maps, I simply plug in my desired destination, and it takes me there. It even has a voice to guide me, so I don’t have to distract myself by looking at the listed directions.

But for Google Maps to guide me, I must put in my intended destination. Once, I plugged in Herdon, West Virginia—where my brother and his wife once lived. We wouldn’t have arrived at our desired destination had I entered another destination. We arrived six hours later, but only because I initially headed in the right direction.

The psalmist did what all people must do at some point in life: ponder their direction. A relationship with God, career, college, residence, investments, and relationships. All require going in a particular direction to reach the proper destination.

At nine, I discerned the direction I needed to go. That direction involved turning my life over to Jesus Christ, asking him to forgive my sins, and committing to serve him faithfully and unashamedly. For most of those years, I’ve headed in the right direction. When I have, I’ve always arrived at my intended destination: godly living.

The few times I’ve taken a detour, I’ve found myself involved in pursuits and relationships I should have left alone. Direction determines destination. But if I consulted my life map, God faithfully returned me to the route that led me back to my intended objective.

Heaven is my ultimate destination, and each day brings me closer. I may make a few more unintended detours, but God assures me I’ll arrive safely. My heavenly guide is better than any app I could download. He always gets me where I need to go if I take his advice and follow his directions.

Let your life destination entail loving and serving God with all your being.

Prayer: Father, guide us to your destination for our lives and give us the fortitude never to veer from the route. 

Tweetable: How do you discern your life's direction? 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment