Monday, September 19, 2022

Knowing Our Identity - Anne Adams

If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. John 15:19 NKJV

Knowing our identity is crucial.

After his speech at a campaign fundraiser rally, a hungry Mayor George hurried to the food stand for a late lunch. But he soon encountered a challenge. 

The glum server dispensing the food shoved a paltry serving of fried chicken, potato salad, and beans across the counter.

“Hey, can I get some more chicken?” the mayor asked. “I’m really hungry.”

“No more!” the server snapped. “We’ve got a lot of folks to feed, and we’re running low. Now move along.”

A glance behind him revealed an oncoming crowd, so he decided on a new tactic.

“Look, I want some more chicken. Do you know who I am? I’m the mayor–I’m in charge of the government.”

By now, a line had formed behind him, but the woman was unfazed.

“And do you know who I am?” she sniffed. “I’m in charge of the chicken. Now move on!”

That lady certainly had self-confidence—a trait I usually lack, particularly when it comes to spiritual self-confidence. Yet, one way to get it is to know my identity.  

Jesus assures us that since He’s chosen us to live in His presence, we should have the assurance of who we are. We are entitled to rely on Him for our needs, rather than bowing to fear, self-pity, and uncertainty.

How can realizing your identity change your perspective on life? Don’t cringe like an orphan.

Tweetable: Do you know your identity? 


Anne Adams is a retired church staffer living in Athens, Texas, where she writes a historical column for the local newspaper. Her book Brittany, Child of Joy, tells about her mentally disabled daughter and was published in 1986 by Broadman. She has taught junior college history and has published in Christian and secular publications for forty years. 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment