Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Turning Away - Caroline Hales

Welcome to Walk-on Wednesday. By Hump Day, we are struggling, but we believe a good devotion can strengthen us to finish the week strong. 

Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath. Romans 12:19a NIV

My freshly cut lawn looked immaculate.

The grass boasted a deep green healthy appearance with a uniform blade height, except in one spot. The corner of the lawn, next to the asphalt driveway and roadside curb of our narrow street, had a deep, muddy tire track. My anger grew like a roaring fire each time I saw the cause. My busy neighbor across the road, who had no time to introduce himself, would back his pickup truck out of his driveway and into my driveway to get out. As he backed up, he would steer the truck right over the corner of the lawn as he maneuvered into the street.

The annoyance of continual damage resulted in my desire for vengeance. At one time, I thought if I made a board with nails for the truck to drive over, the situation might go away. I did not place a row of nails on my lawn. It could have made the situation worse. The truth is, retaliation does not demonstrate love for our neighbors. Vengeance belongs to the Lord.

God will one day rightly judge the acts of other people. We may not see immediate results from our prayers, but we can trust God will one day right all wrongs. God wants us to love others today.

Through much prayer and reading my Bible, I slowly developed more patience and love toward my neighbor. As I saw the truck back up, I would take a deep breath and turn away from looking at the unimportant small bare patch of lawn. God changed me. And one day a couple of years later, my neighbor moved.

Ask God to help you love your neighbors by turning away from unimportant irritants.

Tweetable: Is revenge eating at you? 


Caroline Hales is a Project Manager, a student at Dallas Theological Seminary, and a freelance writer. She has an adorable niece in California who teeters as she toddles. Caroline’s passion to share Christ with others has grown while she has served in church ministry, leading evangelism and women’s ministry. She lives in Ontario, Canada.


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.


No comments:

Post a Comment