Friday, April 22, 2022

Gone but Not Forgotten - Martin Wiles

So you have sorrow now, but I will see you again; then you will rejoice, and no one can rob you of that joy. John 16:22 NLT

They are gone, but not forgotten.

In our area of the United States, hummingbirds arrive in late March or early April and stay until mid-October. A few weeks before their arrival, I hang three feeders for the scouts who arrive earlier so they can tell the later arrivers. One feeder outside our back-porch window, one outside our dining room window, and one outside our kitchen window. Almost anywhere we sit or stand in the house, we can view the beautiful little birds feeding.

Hummingbirds are diligent little creatures. Even with three feeders, I must refill the feeders every couple of days. And, the birds, though small, are aggressive and territorial. One will sit atop the feeder or perch on the feeder stand, waiting to run off any intruders. Their wings beat quickly, and their flight speed is amazing, requiring a lot of nectar to keep them going.

As the season wears on, the number of hummingbirds diminishes. Then, one day, they are gone. I miss their antics . . . their beauty. I miss them hanging in mid-air, watching me through the window or door. But I know if I hang feeders in the spring of the next year, they’ll return. They’re dependable. God has placed this instinct within them.

Jesus knew His followers would feel sorrow after He left them. They had followed Him for three years, and now He was leaving for heaven. But He told them they would see Him again when their eyes closed in death.

I mourn too when I think of all my loved ones who have gone on. As I get older, fewer of them are around, and I think of the time when I’ll no longer be here for my children and grandchildren. I miss sitting with my grandparents and hearing their stories. I miss the cousins, aunts, and uncles whom death has captured.

But their examples keep me going in the right direction. I remember their love for God and how they taught their family about God’s love, shared their faith, and lived a consistent Christian example. They may be gone, but they are not forgotten.

And most of all, I have the example of Jesus, just as the early disciples did. His example, more than any other, prods me on in the faith journey. As He promised to return for His early followers, so He has promised to do the same for all His children.

Don’t let the death of friends and family rob you of the memories you have of good examples. They may be gone, but you don’t have to forget them.

Prayer: Father, may the memories of our godly ancestors keep us going in the faith.

Tweetable: Do you have hope for the future? 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment